Pierce Co. Residential Garbage Services
Pierce County Refuse provides curbside collection of residential garbage. Service
rates are determined by the number of garbage cans, the frequency of pick
up and whether or not you recycle.
Our rates include refuse and recycle charges. The Washington Utilities and
Transportation Commission require us to separate those charges out on your
bill. All customers see recycle charges on their bill whether or not you recycle
and those charges cannot be removed. Customers that choose to recycle are billed
a lower amount on the refuse portion of their bill.
1. To start, stop, transfer or change service, call 253-537-8687.
2. Customers supply their own garbage cans. A garbage can may not be larger
than 20 gallons for a mini can or 32 gallons for a standard can. Larger cans
may be left by the driver or charged an extra fee for each pick up. Cans must
have handles and lids. Mini cans can weight no more than 35 pounds, standard
cans no more than 65 pounds when full. Overweight cans may be charged extra,
or left, depending upon the weight.
3. Adding recycling to your account reduces the refuse portion of your bill.
We supply a 96 gallon commingle recycle tote. Other sizes are available if
the 96 gallon tote does not work for you; our drivers will not however take
anything outside the recycle tote.
4. Curbside service is picked up within
5 feet of the county road (most mailboxes
are on county roads.) If your can is beyond 5 feet from the road, we will not
be able to empty it. We offer, for an additional fee, drive in, carry out and
gate access for those who wish an alternate location for their cans.
5. Do not put dirt, rocks, sod, hot ashes or hazardous waste in can.
6. We ask that all cans be available for collection no later than 6:00
a.m. to guarantee service. Drivers try to do their routes the same from week to
week, however there are occasions when the drivers are required to make adjustments
and as a result may arrive earlier or later than you are used to. There is
an additional charge to have the driver return.
7. Extra garbage can be put in a 32 gallon bag or can and placed near the
garbage can. Excess garbage that does not fit into the garbage can with the
lid closed will result in an extra charge.
8. Charges for service continue if service is missed due to conditions beyond
the company’s control (weather or road closure). The missed refuse will
be picked up on the next regular scheduled day at no additional cost.
Have a question that wasn’t answered above?
Click here to be linked
to our Frequently Asked Questions page.